Mala Beads aren't just beautiful pieces of jewelry — they are also important mediums for peace and enlightenment. This practice ties together many of the Kundalini traditions into one meditation by combining Naad yoga (the recitation of sacred sounds), gemstone therapy, acupressure and a deep contemplative meditation. Mala's are meant to ground the practice of meditation and recitation of mantras.

Using your thumb to pull each bead toward you and cycle through your mala until you reach the Guru Bead. Just to gently remind really important to not cross over the guru bead - therefore switching the mala around before starting the next round, so that the last bead you held becomes the first bead held for the next round.

Start by choosing a mantra or intention for your mala. In Buddhism in Japan , Buddhist prayer beads are known as ojuzu (数珠, counting beads) or onenju (念珠, thought beads), where the "" is the honorific - Different Buddhist sects in Japan have different shaped juzus, and use them differently.

Tell us about your mala meditation practice. If you are relatively new to meditation, or do not practice within a specific tradition, use whichever hand is most comfortable. Allow the mala beads to tether your mind to your meditative intention. But 108 has long been considered a sacred number in Hinduism and yoga.

Receive weekly news, special offers and meditation tools for a masterful life and spiritual practice. A mantra is a word or phrase with a powerful meaning, chanted to discipline the mind as an aid to meditation or as an incantation. When searching for your perfect beads, we recommend you ask What is my intention?

Mala beads can be worn anytime and by anyone. It is better to focus on the spiritual practice of praying and reciting mantras rather than on the looks or value of your mala. The Sanscrit word japa means chanting a mantra repetitively", but also means meditation performed with the focus on an object of divinity".

Malas are typically made with 18, 27, 54 or 108 beads. Cup your malas in your hand and concentrate on your breath, do a scan of your body and observe how you are feeling. Ask yourself what small accomplishments you've made with the help of your mala beads and what is still blocking you from achieving your goal.

Having a mala with you can turn any period of downtime into the perfect moment for meditation: "For a public practice, I recommend contemplating a quality you feel is particularly significant or important to you right now and, while you're waiting for a meeting or during a commute, slowly reciting that word or phrase," says Lodro Rinzler, cofounder of MNDFL, a chain of meditation studios in New York City.

I'm super excited to announce that I'm collaborating with my dear friend Satya on a new Spirit Junkie jewelry line If you've seen my holiday gift guide, you got a preview of Satya's designs — the Spirit Junkie bar necklace and the mala beads are her creations.

Often times, people instantly connect with one mala and begin to second-guess themselves as they continue to shop around. Traditionally, malas, or garlands of prayer beads, come as a string of 108 beads (plus one for the "guru bead," around which the other 108 beads turn like the planets around the sun).

Often, many practitioners of japa meditation, prefer to support their forearm on the Yoga Danda, so that they can practice japa on mala beads without discomfort. Decreasing your frequency to coincide with that of the Universe stills the fluctuations of the mind, allowing you to practice yoga mala meditation through sound.